AI Threat Watch: Mobilizing NGOs for a Safe AI Future
A virtual awareness and action campaign for NGOs to combat AI-driven existential threats and foster responsible AI development.
Updated June 29, 2023
The AI Threat Watch campaign aims to mobilize non-governmental organizations (NGOs) worldwide to become active players in addressing AI-driven existential threats. By harnessing the power of collective action, this virtual campaign seeks to create a ripple effect that sparks institutional and structural transformations. In doing so, it promotes the responsible development and deployment of artificial intelligence in ways that do not threaten humanity’s existence.
The campaign will consist of the following main components:
- A dedicated website featuring an AI Threat Watch portal that tracks AI developments and potential threats, and offers learning resources for NGO staff.
- Virtual events, including webinars, panel discussions, and workshops, aimed at NGOs to raise awareness about AI-driven existential risks.
- Social media campaign with shareable content, infographics, and calls to action targeting NGOs and their networks.
- An open letter to key decision-makers emphasizing the critical role of NGOs in ensuring the safe development of AI technologies.
Theory for Why This Campaign Will Create Change
By increasing awareness among NGOs, the AI Threat Watch campaign will create a powerful network of organizations that are equipped to advocate for responsible AI development. This collective effort will amplify the voice of those who seek to address AI-driven existential threats, influencing change in policies and practices across industries and governments.
Sample Viral Social Media Post from the Campaign
🌐#AIThreatWatch 🤖 Is your organization prepared for the risks posed by advanced AI? Join our AI Threat Watch campaign and be part of the solution! Let’s work together for a safe AI future. 🌍✊ Learn more: [link to campaign website] #NGOs4SafeAI #GreaterThanAI
Sample Press Release Announcing Campaign to Media
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE “AI Threat Watch: Mobilizing NGOs for a Safe AI Future” [DATE]
Today marks the launch of AI Threat Watch, a campaign aimed at mobilizing non-governmental organizations (NGOs) worldwide to address the existential threats posed by artificial intelligence. Organized by activists and experts, the campaign seeks to create a powerful network of NGOs equipped to ensure the responsible development and deployment of AI technologies.
AI Threat Watch will offer an array of virtual events, including webinars, panel discussions, and workshops, to inform and engage NGOs on AI-driven existential risks. A dedicated website will also provide an AI Threat Watch portal with learning resources and tracking of AI advancements.
The campaign will harness the power of social media to reach NGOs and their networks, increasing awareness about the potential consequences of unchecked AI development. In addition, an open letter to key decision-makers will emphasize the critical role NGOs play in ensuring a safe AI future.
AI Threat Watch strives to create a catalyst for institutional and structural transformations, promoting responsible AI development to benefit humanity as a whole.
Story Written in the First Person Perspective
I remember the moment I realized that AI-driven existential threats were no longer just a subject for science fiction novels. I was attending a conference on AI safety when it dawned on me that NGOs worldwide needed to become active players in addressing these challenges.
That was the spark that led to the creation of AI Threat Watch. By bringing together activists, experts, and organizations from various sectors, we built a campaign that started conversations and inspired action. Our virtual events and online resources educated NGO staff about AI-driven risks and how they could push for change.
As our social media campaign gained traction, more and more NGOs joined the movement. We saw organizations integrate AI safety into their policies, and some even formed partnerships with tech companies to advocate for responsible AI development. Decision-makers began to take notice, and soon policies changed for the better.
How Will Opponents to This Campaign Try to Stop It
Opponents may attempt to discredit the campaign by questioning the legitimacy of AI-driven existential threats or downplaying the role of NGOs in mitigating these risks. They might also try to undermine the campaign by flooding social media with counter-narratives or disinformation.
How Should Activists Respond to Opponent’s Attempts to Stop It
Activists should counter these attempts by remaining well-informed, relying on credible sources, and using facts to refute any false claims. It is crucial to maintain a strong, united front and continue engaging NGOs in a meaningful dialogue on the responsible development of AI technologies.
What Are the Steps Necessary to Launch the Campaign
- Develop campaign branding and messaging: Create a strong identity for the campaign, ensuring consistent visuals and language in all communications.
- Design and launch website: Create a dedicated website featuring the AI Threat Watch portal, learning resources, event listings, and campaign news.
- Organize virtual events: Plan and schedule a series of webinars, panel discussions, and workshops, and secure expert speakers and panelists.
- Create social media content: Develop shareable graphics, infographics and calls to action to mobilize NGOs and promote campaign messaging.
- Write open letter to decision-makers: Draft a compelling letter emphasizing the critical role of NGOs in shaping AI policy and practices.
- Establish partnerships: Foster collaboration with other organizations, experts, and influencers in the field of AI safety to amplify the campaign’s reach.
- Launch press release and social media campaign: Announce the campaign to the media and kick off the social media campaign to generate buzz and engagement.